Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Statistics!

Well my Statistics class began Monday and I'm already getting a headache over it.  I turned in my assignment last night, but I honestly have no idea if I even did it correctly. Boo!  Hopefully I did, or at least will get feedback about it quickly so I can fix any mistakes.

After reading my required chapters, I went over the powerpoint and was reminded about terms such as meta-analysis and quasi-experimental and psychometric evaluations.  Not only am I taking Statistics, but it seems like I am going through Evidence Based Practice all over again.   I was hoping I'd make it through another few classes before being immersed in it again.  Oh well. What really took a long time, though, was trying to figure out the program we are using. It's called SPSS and seems like a more complicated version of Excel. (which of course I've never really used before).  THAT truly is what gave me a headache.  Then after going over what I thought was homework for an hour, I realized I actually had done the graded portion first and pretty much wasted an hour of my time.  Well, I suppose it wasn't truly wasted since I did actually learn what to do with SPSS (at least the extreme basics).   Hopefully last night was the worst and I'll pick it up more quickly next time...

Assuming I actually figure out what's going on, I am hoping to get ahead and complete my coursework quickly.  As of Tuesday evening, I have turned in this entire week's homework.  I'm not sure if all the weeks are going to be similar it terms of amount, but if so I should be able to do at least 2 week's worth per week. Since this is a 12 week course (of which 10 weeks have actual homework), I should be able to get through this quickly.


So we'll see how well that plan works out....I'm sure I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting into.  I tried to complain about my poor, pitiful homework-ridden life to a friend (and old undergrad nursing classmate), but she cheerfully reminded me that this was why SHE was not going to graduate school. Which pretty much took all the wind out of my sails. After all, I did sign up for this.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment